Did you know: It wasn't until the 1900's that the candy cane received it's red stripes.
Here's The Recipe:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons mint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Spice Islands® pure vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 drops red food coloring
- 12 drops green food coloring
- 1-1/2 cups white baking chips
- Crushed mint candies
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Set aside half of the dough. Divide remaining dough in half; add green food coloring to one portion and red food coloring to the other. Wrap dough separately in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Divide green and red dough into 24 portions each. Divide plain dough into 48 portions. Roll each into a 4-in. rope. Place each green rope next to a white rope; press together gently and twist. Repeat with red ropes and remaining white ropes. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before carefully removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt white chips; stir until smooth. Dip cookie ends into melted chips; allow excess to drip off. Sprinkle with crushed candies and place on waxed paper. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 dozen.
PEPPERMINT STICK COOKIES